The motor insurance database tells us that this vehicle was not insured on 07/09/11. This is an offence* for
which you, as the registered keeper, may be prosecuted. To avoid this you must now pay a penalty.
To avoid prosecution you must do the following
- Pay the penalty of £100 by 16/10/11, if you pay by 09/10/11 this will be reduced to £50, and
- insure your vehicle immediately or take your vehicle off the road. You can do this by surrendering the tax disc and making a statutory off road notification (SORN) using a V14. This is available from post office branches or online at http://www.direct.gov.uk/vehicletaxrefund
What will happen if you do nothing
- if you don't pay the penalty we may prosecute you and if convicted the fine will be up to £1,000
- your vehicle may get wheelclamped and impounded by DVLA, and
- if you don't get insurance, the Police may also seize your vehicle on the road.
If you have evidence that you are not liable for this offence and you with to dispute, you need to tell us by filling
in the form on the back of this letter and returning it immediately to the above address with supporting evidence.
You cannot dispute this penalty by phone.
On Behalf of the Secretary of state for Transport
*Section 22 of the Road Safety Act 2006 amends the Road Traffic Act 1988 by introducing a new
offence of keeping a vehicle with no insurance (under Section 144A of the Road Traffic Act 1988).
How do i deal with something like this, I think its a joke that not having insurance for an unused car is an offence, just another way for our brilliant government to generate some income.
Also the letter was addressed to 'FIRSTNAME SURNAME' in capitals like always but no title at the front of this, I don't know if this is significant or not but as letters usually come with a title infront of it i thought maybe someone on here can make something of it.
Any help given would be highly appreciated.