Vitamin D deficiency/Cholesterol/Statins

Vitamin D deficiency/Cholesterol/Statins

Postby dmgc01 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:48 am

Bear with me on this one ;)

This also relates to the two links that waterman99 put up recently.... you got me gathering my bookmarks :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39788

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39841

All pregnant women should take vitamin D, coroner says

In 2009, experts warned that a lack of vitamin D in pregnancy can lead to a youngster suffering rickets and longer-term problems such as schizophrenia and Type 1 diabetes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... -says.html

Here's why............

Rickets

Is a new global epidemic of rickets being confused with mistaken findings of child abuse?

Black, white and everybody in between are suffering from more cases – while the Vitamin D in food and milk is lower than it has been for a generation.

From this study, it looks like lack of sunshine in northern climes and worries about skin cancer, particularly in white people, have caused a new and silent problem: childhood rickets.

http://medicalmisdiagnosisresearch.word ... ild-abuse/

The disturbing reason why a growing number of parents are being falsely accused of shaking their babies to death

Rickets is linked to a lack of vitamin D, which the body synthesises from sunlight or absorbs from eating foods such as oily fish and eggs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -grow.html

Multiple Sclerosis

Call for vitamin D supplements to tackle Scots MS rates

Scotland has the highest levels of MS in the world and the lowest levels of vitamin D, due to a lack of sunshine and a diet low in oily fish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16255661

Alzheimer's Disease

Yes, you can prevent Alzheimer's with specific nutrients, say scientists

Vitamin B 12 and especially vitamin D were found to be the nutrients most lacking in the research subjects. In fact, a whopping 25 percent of all the research subjects had a deficit in vitamin D.

http://www.naturalnews.com/034495_Alzhe ... ition.html

So just from what I've found and no doubt there is much more. It seems lack of vitamin D can bring on Rickets, Multiple Sclerosis and Alzheimer’s

Okay... now what about this -

You will not make enough Vitamin D from the Sun if you have artificially lowered your cholesterol level using STATINS or do not have enough cholesterol!!!

Not sure where from but I had filed away two paragraphs after copying and pasting at some point. I haven’t looked into this fully so you will need to do your own research.

"Remember you will not make enough Vitamin D in the Sun if you have artificially lowered your cholesterol level or do not have enough cholesterol. You also must never wash the oils from your skin before going in the Sun otherwise you do not make enough Vitamin D. Of course today the quack poisoners are purposely injuring people by the use of Statin poisons which are killing you and severely causing problems with the Vitamin D issue. The agenda against Vitamin D is to make sure the populace is less fertile as they do not want the current population levels aka Club of Rome and Global 2000 report. Their agenda at the moment is a population reduction of 65% by 2050 aka Cancer now in 1 of every 3 people and soon 1 in 2. Your best sources of Vitamin D are fermented Cod Liver Oil and Lard, whilst not falling for propaganda against saturated fats which we ALL need. Do not take supplement Vitamin D as these are poisonous especially the D3 variety linked with rat poison. Only have natural forms and remember The Carlyle Group owns all the U.K. so-called health-food stores (including Holland and Barrett) and almost all vitamins are created by the same pharmaceutical companies serving The Worshipful Company of Apothecaries".

"You cannot make Vitamin D without adequate cholesterol levels and oily skin, if you’re missing one of these then forget it. All those who take Statins have artificially reduced cholesterol levels amongst of course Liver and Spleen destruction as a side-effect from the poison. Many of the foods which did contain levels of Vitamin D naturally no longer do or have very little due to idiotic modern processed farming and animals seeing almost no daylight ever. Do not take any Vitamin D2 as its virtually worthless whilst D3 is better but problem is that its rat poison. Remember most the vitamins out there are made by around five pharmaceutical companies, yes its big pharma in disguise. Then remember that most the health food stores are controlled by the same Malthusian minded elitist families and companies such as The Carlyle Group running virtually all health food stores in the U.K. through owning Nature’s Bounty Inc. Its a mugs game! If you want a good source of Vitamin D then its fermented Cod Liver Oil, if you’re worried about the Vitamin A content then well you’ll have to find something else or see what the Weston Price Foundation tell you about Vitamin A and pregnancy. I highly suggest no one artificially alters their cholesterol levels and changes in cholesterol levels must only arise through restoration of the Liver function and nothing else".

Now I was advised to take Statins some time ago - took them for two weeks or so and suffered muscle pains in my neck and shoulder. After research I stopped taking them changed my diet and started taking herbs. My cholesterol level lowered naturally. After being admitted to hospital about a year ago I found that they have decided to lower the “danger” level – therefore trying to reduce our cholesterol levels even further. Because of this they increased my Statin dosage and the words of the doctor were “to fine tune it”!!!

They can stick their poxy Statins where the sun definitely doesn’t shine.....!
dmgc01

Re: Vitamin D deficiency/Cholesterol/Statins

Postby p_devlin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi dmgc01,
Add sunblock/lotion to the list and we absorb even less sunlight, not to mention that most of these sun blocks contain petrochemical ingredients that cause hypomethylation > cancer! There is a lot of profit in fear-mongering when it comes to health and the vast majority believe that the sun causes some form of damage after many years of the media propagandising most things.
When I had my cholesterol tested about 5 years ago it was high - my doctor who had asked me to have it checked in the first place asked me what i wanted to do about it. The doctor had a look of horror when I told her that I didnt believe all that rubbish about cholesterol levels after all the brain is mainly comprised of it and it serves to repair connective tissues and if anything I would eat more fish, eggs, butter. Havent seen the doctor since as theyre only good for breakages and like to spread the fear in all things non-pharma.
Homogenised milk as Ive mentioned a few time should be avoided and builds up artificially high cholesterol levels since its laid down to repair the damage it does.
Astaxanthin is useful for those who burn easily in the sun offering natural protection as does coconut oil if your out in the sun for extended periods.
p_devlin

Postby dmgc01 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Hello p_devlin

A friend of mine was told a couple of years ago that they had a vitamin d deficiency - at the age of 42. Every year we used to go on holiday and out came the sun screen smothering themselves and the children! Coconut oil for me every time..
dmgc01

Postby p_devlin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:38 pm

beggars belief doesn't it!
When we were kids, you couldn't keep us out of the sun! now I see my neighbours smothering kids in sunblock before they go out - I shouted to one "give em a coat of benzene and parabens" and they dont talk to me anymore :lol:
p_devlin

Postby dmgc01 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm

:lol: there's not many talk to me anymore :roll:
dmgc01

Postby p_devlin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 pm

lol - had to answer in that case! :D
p_devlin

Postby dmgc01 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:53 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dmgc01

Postby dmgc01 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:47 pm

The chief medical officer for England, Dame Sally Davies, is to contact medical staff about concerns young children and some adults are not getting enough vitamin D.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16700833

Government guidelines recommend some groups, including the under-fives, should take a daily supplement.
However, recent research found that many parents and health professionals were unaware of the advice.
There has been an increase in childhood rickets over the past 15 years.
According to Dr Benjamin Jacobs, from the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, links to heart disease and some cancers are also being investigated.
The consultant paediatrician told BBC Breakfast that the hospital saw about one severe case a month of rickets - softening of bones through lack of vitamin D in childhood.
He said: "There are many other children who have less severe problems - muscle weakness, delay in walking, bone pains - and research indicates that in many parts of the country the majority of children have a low level of vitamin D."
The Feeding for Life Foundation report, published in October last year, suggested one in four toddlers in the UK is vitamin D deficient.
However, this may be an underestimate as only vitamin D from food was included, and not any vitamin D obtained through sun exposure.
Vitamin D supplements are recommended for all people at risk of a deficiency, including all pregnant and breastfeeding women, children under five years old, people aged over 65, and people at risk of not getting enough exposure to sunlight.
Vitamin D is mainly obtained from sunlight. However, too much sun exposure increases the risk of skin cancer.
According to one recent study, nearly three-quarters of parents and more than half of health professionals are unaware of the recommendations.
The Department of Health has asked the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition to review the issue of current dietary recommendations on vitamin D.
Dame Sally Davies: "We know a significant proportion of people in the UK probably have inadequate levels of vitamin D in their blood. People at risk of vitamin D deficiency, including pregnant women and children under five, are already advised to take daily supplements.
"Our experts are clear - low levels of vitamin D can increase the risk of poor bone health, including rickets in young children.
"Many health professionals such as midwives, GPs and nurses give advice on supplements, and it is crucial they continue to offer this advice as part of routine consultations and ensure disadvantaged families have access to free vitamin supplements through our Healthy Start scheme.
"It is important to raise awareness of this issue, and I will be contacting health professionals on the need to prescribe and recommend vitamin D supplements to at-risk groups."
It has long been known that vitamin D prevents rickets and children were once given food supplements like cod liver oil.
However, this practice was stopped in the 1950s because it was thought unnecessary.
In the last 10 years, doctors have been seeing more cases of vitamin D deficiency, leading to a debate over the use of food supplements and concern that many medical staff are unaware of the problem.
dmgc01

Postby dmgc01 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Vitamin D Deficiency Linked to Human Infertility

What a surprise - NOT

http://real-agenda.com/2012/02/03/vitam ... fertility/

Vitamin D is one of the most important building blocks of our immune system. Nothing new here. There is tons of research that shows the different ways in which people could take vitamin D to strengthen their immune systems, but most if not all of it concludes that daily exposure to UV-B rays for periods of time ranging between 10-20 minutes provides the body with enough vitamin D to fight disease. Perhaps this is new for you. Optimum levels of Vitamin D also support absorption of calcium, which in turn increases bone health, which prevents osteoporosis and diabetes.

Now, new research conducted by Austrian physicians demonstrates that vitamin D is also responsible for a healthy reproductive system and for increased fertility. The absence of optimum levels of vitamin D, however, cause infertility in both men and women. A lack of vitamin D in the body promotes hormonal imbalances in both groups and these alterations cause men to produce less testosterone and women to produce more. The consequences are lower quality semen in men. In women low levels of vitamin D often lead to too much testosterone, which therefore could increase the risk of infertility.

Doctors Barbara Obermayer-Pietsch and Elisabeth Lerchbaum researched existing literature regarding the influence Vitamin D has on human fertility. Analyzed studies included material published up to October 2011. They found that vitamin D receptors, also known as VDR’s as well as vitamin D metabolizing enzymes are found in the reproductive tissue of women and men. Some of the research shows that lower levels of Vitamin D in females (low 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) were associated with obesity and disturbances of the metabolism and the endocrine system.

The abundance of Vitamin D, they found, results in improvements in menstrual frequency in those women. Also, high 25(OH)D levels are associated with better semen quality might increase testosterone levels. “ Mounting evidence suggests that hypovitaminosis D is linked to an increased risk for cancer 2, autoimmune diseases, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases 1-3 indicating the importance of sufficient vitamin D levels,” says the report. They also found that vitamin D also modulates reproductive processes in women and men.

Today, most female infertility is caused by what doctors call polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS. Meanwhile, male infertility is attributed to environmental factors which is responsible for an all time low quality of semen, with concentrations well below healthy levels. At least 20% of young men have sperm concentration below what is expected and 40% have sperm concentrations inferior to what is considered optimal for fertility. The consulted literature suggests that many adverse aspects of male aging are a consequence of decreased levels of testosterone, most likely due to the lack of vitamin D.

Doctors Obermayer and Lerchbaum had their research published in the European Journal of Endocrinology, where it can be accessed and consulted. Terms used during the research process included “vitamin D”, “fertility”, “reproduction”, “PCOS”, “25-hydroxyvitamin D”, “1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D” and “calcitriol”.

Vitamin D is what researches call a steroid hormone. The way this substance acts in the body occurs through a precursor known as 7-dehydrocholesterol. Here comes the role of UV-B solar rays. These rays cause the precursor to convert into vitamin D3 which is then transported around the body by the vitamin D binding protein. According to the study, 80-90% of the vitamin D used by the body comes from sunlight induced production in the skin. That is why it is monumentally important to expose our bodies to sunlight on a daily basis. The more we are able to take in sun rays for safe periods of 10-20 minutes a day, the more vitamin D the body will produce naturally and the stronger our immune systems will be. Te absence of naturally produced vitamin D can be substituted with vitamin D supplements. Humans must intake between 4000 and 5000 UI of vitamin D daily through supplementation in order to keep healthy levels in their bodies.

As for the role of vitamin D in reproductive tissues, the research shows that vitamin D receptors or VDR’s are all over those tissues, which doctors believe means that vitamin D plays an important role in the human reproductive system. In women, “1,25(OH)2D3 stimulated progesterone production by 13%, estradiol production by 9%, and estrone production by 21%”. This substance is found to promote the transportation of calcium to the placenta as well as improves the development of the uterus and placental tissues, which betters the reception and implantation of sperm should a woman get pregnant.

If there is one conclusion taken from this as well as older research, is that the more exposure to sun light results in higher rates of human reproduction, and less sun light causes the opposite effect. chemtrails anyone? “In northern countries, where a strong seasonal contrast in luminosity exists, the conception rate is decreased during the dark winter months, whereas a peak in conception rate during summer leading to a maximum in birth rate in spring has been observed.” These conclusions can be explained by many environmental factors, including vitamin D deficiency. “The seasonal variation of vitamin D levels, might influence several pathways including altered endometrial development and altered oocyte development,” reads the study. The findings emphasize how there is evidence that vitamin D does affect female reproduction including cases where in-vitro fertilization is used as well as cases of women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).

The researchers’ closing remarks encourage further research about women and men infertility levels and the role that vitamin D plays as a supportive element to improve the human immune system as well as the to promote more fertility in women and men. “ Given the high prevalence of infertility as well as vitamin D insufficiency in otherwise healthy young women 70 and men 136 and the possible role of vitamin D in human reproduction, research might lead to new therapeutic approaches such as vitamin D supplementation in the treatment of female and male reproductive disorders.”
dmgc01

Postby p_devlin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 am

Just found this link sitting in a dusty corner of an older HD :roll:

It relates to vitamin K - K2 in particular and its importance and something I come across fairly often in relation to vascular health and also suppleness of limbs calcification etc.
Maybe it should be posted separately!
hopefully it might be of use to some and illustrates the importance of whole foods and of the right kind too.
If anyone sees fit to purchase K2 - bear in mind that alfalfa in the us is predominantly GM and soy unless specified as Non Gm is in fact GM!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A study recently published by the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) has revealed that increased intake of vitamin K2 may reduce the risk of prostate cancer by 35 percent. The authors point out that the benefits of K2 were most pronounced for advanced prostate cancer, and, importantly, that vitamin K1 did not offer any prostate benefits.

The findings were based on data from more than 11,000 men taking part in the EPIC Heidelberg cohort. It adds to a small but fast-growing body of science supporting the potential health benefits of vitamin K2 for bone, cardiovascular, skin, brain, and now prostate health.

Unfortunately, many people are not aware of the health benefits of vitamin K2. The K vitamins have been underrated and misunderstood up until very recently in both the scientific community and the general public.

It has been commonly believed that the benefits of vitamin K are limited to its role in blood clotting. Another popular misconception is that vitamins K1 and K2 are simply different forms of the same vitamin – with the same physiological functions.

New evidence, however, has confirmed that vitamin K2′s role in the body extends far beyond blood clotting to include protecting us from heart disease, ensuring healthy skin, forming strong bones, promoting brain function, supporting growth and development and helping to prevent cancer – to name a few. In fact, vitamin K2 has so many functions not associated with vitamin K1 that many researchers insist that K1 and K2 are best seen as two different vitamins entirely.

A large epidemiological study from the Netherlands illustrates this point well. The researchers collected data on the vitamin K intakes of the subjects between 1990 and 1993 and measured the extent of heart disease in each subject, who had died from it and how this related to vitamin K2 intake and arterial calcification. They found that calcification of the arteries was the best predictor of heart disease. Those in the highest third of vitamin K2 intakes were 52 percent less likely to develop severe calcification of the arteries, 41 percent less likely to develop heart disease, and 57 percent less likely to die from it. (Geleijnse et al., 2004, pp. 3100-3105) However, intake of vitamin K1 had no effect on cardiovascular disease outcomes.

While K1 is preferentially used by the liver to activate blood clotting proteins, K2 is preferentially used by other tissues to deposit calcium in appropriate locations, such as in the bones and teeth, and prevent it from depositing in locations where it does not belong, such as the soft tissues.(Spronk et al., 2003, pp. 531-537) In an acknowledgment of the different roles played by vitamins K1 and K2, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) finally determined the vitamin K2 contents of foods in the U.S. diet for the first time in 2006. (Elder, Haytowitz, Howe, Peterson, & Booth, 2006, pp. 436-467)

Another common misconception is that human beings do not need vitamin K2 in their diet, since they have the capacity to convert vitamin K1 to vitamin K2. The amount of vitamin K1 in typical diets is ten times greater than that of vitamin K2, and researchers and physicians have largely dismissed the contribution of K2 to nutritional status as insignificant.

However, although animals can convert vitamin K1 to vitamin K2, a significant amount of evidence suggests that humans require preformed K2 in the diet to obtain and maintain optimal health. The strongest indication that humans require preformed vitamin K2 in the diet is that epidemiological and intervention studies both show its superiority over K1. Intake of K2 is inversely associated with heart disease in humans while intake of K1 is not (Geleijnse et al., 2004, pp. 3100-3105), and vitamin K2 is at least three times more effective than vitamin K1 at activating proteins related to skeletal metabolism. (Schurgers et al., 2007) And remember that in the study on vitamin K2′s role in treating prostate cancer, which I mentioned at the beginning of this article, vitamin K1 had no effect.

All of this evidence points to the possibility that vitamin K2 may be an essential nutrient in the human diet. So where does one find vitamin K2 in foods? The following is a list of the foods highest in vitamin K2, as measured by the USDA:
Foods high in vitamin K2

Natto
Hard cheese
Soft cheese
Egg yolk
Butter
Chicken liver
Salami
Chicken breast
Ground beef

Unfortunately, precise values for some foods that are likely to be high in K2 (such as organ meats) are not available at this time. The pancreas and salivary glands would be richest; reproductive organs, brains, cartilage and possibly kidneys would also be very rich; finally, bone would be richer than muscle meat. Fish eggs are also likely to be rich in K2.

It was once erroneously believed that intestinal bacteria are a major contributor to vitamin K status. However, the majority of evidence contradicts this view. Most of the vitamin K2 produced in the intestine are embedded within bacterial membranes and not available for absorption. Thus, intestinal production of K2 likely makes only a small contribution to vitamin K status. (Unden & Bongaerts, 1997, pp. 217-234)

On the other hand, fermented foods, however, such as sauerkraut, cheese and natto (a soy dish popular in Japan), contain substantial amounts of vitamin K2. Natto contains the highest concentration of K2 of any food measured; nearly all of it is present as MK-7, which research has shown to be a highly effective form. A recent study demonstrated that MK-7 increased the percentage of osteocalcin in humans three times more powerfully than did vitamin K1. (Schurgers & Vermeer, 2000, pp. 298-307)

It is important to note that commercial butter is not a significantly high source of vitamin K2. Dr. Weston A. Price, who was the first to elucidate the role of vitamin K2 in human health (though he called it “Activator X” at the time) analyzed over 20,000 samples of butter sent to him from various parts of the world. As mentioned previously in this paper, he found that the Activator X concentration varied 50-fold. Animals grazing on vitamin K-rich cereal grasses, especially wheat grass, and alfalfa in a lush green state of growth produced fat with the highest amounts of Activator X, but the soil in which the pasture was grown also influenced the quality of the butter. It was only the vitamin-rich butter grown in three feet or more of healthy top soil that had such dramatic curing properties when combined with cod liver oil in Dr. Price’s experiments and clinical practice.

Therefore, vitamin K2 levels will not be high in butter from grain-fed cows raised in confinement feedlots. Since the overwhelming majority of butter sold in the U.S. comes from such feedlots, butter is not a significant source of K2 in the diet for most people. This is yet another argument for obtaining raw butter from cows raised on green pasture.

New research which expands our understanding of the many important roles of vitamin K2 is being published at a rapid pace. Yet it is already clear that vitamin K2 is an important nutrient for human health – and one of the most poorly understood by medical authorities and the general public.

http://chriskresser.com/vitamin-k2-the- ... ent/print/ - print version with comments!

http://chriskresser.com/vitamin-k2-the-missing-nutrient - standard web page
p_devlin

Next

Return to Health